Knowing how to handle hazardous household chemicals containing can reduce the risk of injury. Only store household chemicals in places children can’t get to them. I recently became a grandpa, so I need to go through my house and make sure I haven’t overlooked anything. Here is a list of potential hazards that we all need to keep secure from the little ones. Because, they are curious and do know any better.

Aerosol cans, WD40, spray paint, hair spray and deodorant, for example.

Nail polish or nail polish remover.

Cleaning products and furniture polishes


Automotive products, such as antifreeze or motor oil.

Miscellaneous items, such as batteries, mercury thermometers and florescent light bulbs.

Flammable products, such as kerosene, home heating oil, propane tanks and lighter fluid.

Workshop or painting supplies, such as paint thinners and turpentine.

Lawn and garden products, such as herbicides and insecticides.


Buying and storing hazardous household chemicals safely:

  • Keep products containing hazardous materials in their original containers and never remove the labels unless the container is corroding. Corroding containers should be repackaged and clearly labeled.
  • Never store hazardous products in food containers.
  • Never mix household hazardous chemicals or waste with other products. Some chemicals, such as chlorine bleach and ammonia may react, ignite or explode.
  • Never use hair spray, cleaning solutions, paint products or pesticides near an open flame
  • Clean up any chemical spills immediately. Allow the fumes in the rags to evaporate outdoors, then dispose of the rags by wrapping them in a newspaper and placing them in a sealed plastic bag in your trash can.
  • Dispose of hazardous materials correctly.

During a Household Chemical Emergency

  • If there is danger of fire or explosion get out immediately.
  • Stay upwind and away from the residence to avoid breathing toxic fumes.
  • If someone is experiencing toxic poisoning symptoms or has been exposed to a household chemical, call the national poison control center at 800-222-1222.
  • Follow the emergency operator or dispatcher’s first aid instructions carefully. The first aid advice found on containers may be out of date or inappropriate. Do not give anything by mouth unless advised to do so by a medical professional.